What is it with kids and carbs? Aliyana will drop her beloved banana in a heartbeat for a piece of banana bread or blueberry muffin. I try my best to make a lot of stuff at home and freeze it for later because let’s be honest, nobody has that much time to be cooking and baking every day.
It’s been a while since I did a recipe post so I thought this is a good time to share one of Aliyana’s favourite blueberry filled muffin recipes. It’s really healthy so I never have to feel bad for letting her eat one too many.
I also recently got these AMAZING silicone muffin liners from good ol’ Ikea and I wanted to test them out. I must say, they are 99% mess free and the 1% was me letting Aliyana eat these muffins unattended and she ended up making a blueberry mess.
- ¾ cup of all white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup of whole wheat flour
** I split them up because I find whole wheat flour to be extremely dense and Aliyana doesn’t like the texture.
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup of honey or maple syrup (I was originally going to use sugar but changed my mind last minute)
- ½ cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of applesauce
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries (it’s the perfect time to pick some up at a local blueberry farm)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray the silicone muffin liners with a little bit of coconut oil before putting it into a muffin tray
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together
- Add the honey/maple syrup, yogurt, egg, applesauce and milk. Sit until just incorporated. Do not over mix
- Lightly fold the blueberries and lemon zest into the mixture
- Fill muffin cups ⅔ the way
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean